General Dentist: DMD or DDS
- Examines patients' teeth and mouth.
- Analyzes x-rays and evaluates dental needs.
- Plans treatment and health promotion programs.
- Administers anesthetics to patients.
- Treats teeth and tissue problems using equipment and tools, such as drills or mouth mirrors.
- Cleans teeth using a variety of brushes, probes, and polishers to remove plaque and stains.
- Cleans out and fills in cavities, rebuilds broken teeth.
- Replaces missing teeth, and pulls out unnecessary or severely damaged teeth.
- Extracts teeth, makes models for replacement teeth, and takes accurate measurements for new teeth.
- Performs surgery on gums or on supporting bones.
- Provides instruction on dental care.
- Writes prescriptions for patients.
- Keeps records of the work done on patients.
- Manages and hires staff.
- Supervises workers and office processes including bookkeeping and buying equipment and supplies.
- Studies nature, cause, and development of diseases associated with mouth.
- Examines patient's mouth, jaw, face, and associated areas and obtains specimen, using medical instruments.
- Examines specimen from patient's mouth or associated area to determine pathological conditions, such as tumors and lesions, using microscope and other laboratory equipment and applying knowledge of medical pathology and dentistry.
- Discusses diagnosis with patient and referring practitioner.
- Diagnoses and treats inflammatory and destructive diseases of investing and supporting tissue of teeth.
- Cleans and polishes teeth, eliminates irritating margins of fillings, and corrects occlusions.
- Performs surgical procedures to remove diseased tissue, using dental instruments.
- Establishes recall treatment program to monitor oral health practices.
Oral Surgeon: Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Performs surgery on mouth, jaws, and related head and neck structure.
- Executes difficult and multiple extraction of teeth.
- Removes tumors and other abnormal growths.
- Performs preprosthetic surgery to prepare mouth for insertion of dental prosthesis.
- Corrects abnormal jaw relations by mandibular or maxillary revision.
- Treats fractures of jaws.
- Administers general and local anesthetics.
- May treat patients in hospital.
Perform some or all of the following duties:
- Measure patients' jaws to determine size and shape of dentures required.
- Make impressions of patients' teeth, gums and jaws.
- Construct dentures or direct other workers to construct dentures.
- Fit and modify new dentures.
- Repair dentures.
- Reline and rebase dentures.
- Fabricate mouth protectors, anti-snoring prostheses and removable prostheses on implants.
- May prepare partial dentures.
- Provides dental care for infants, children, and adolescents.
- Fabricates space maintainers designed for patients.
- Treats primary and secondary teeth and constructs and places bridges, dentures, and obturating appliances suitable for growing arches.
- Manages patients with behavioral problems or handicapping conditions.
- Counsels and advises patients and family on growth and development dental problems of patient.
- Provides preventive services through use of fluorides and sealants.
- Instructs patient and family members on dental care.
- Examines, diagnoses, and treats diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting vitality of teeth.
- Examines teeth, gums, and related tissues to determine condition, using dental instruments, x ray, and other diagnostic equipment.
- Diagnoses condition and plans treatment.
- Treats exposure of pulp by pulp capping or removal of pulp from pulp chamber and root canal, using dental instruments.
- Performs partial or total removal of pulp, using surgical instruments.
- Treats infected root canal and related tissues, and fills pulp chamber and canal with endodontic materials.
- Removes pathologic tissue at apex of tooth, surgically.
- Reinserts teeth that have been knocked out of mouth by accident.
- Bleaches discolored teeth to restore natural color.
- Examines, diagnoses, and treats abnormalities in development of jaws, position of teeth, and other dental and facial structures.
- Plans treatment, using cephalometric, height, and weight records, dental x-rays, and front and lateral dental photographs.
- Designs and fabricates appliances, such as space maintainers, retainers, and labial and lingual arch wires, to alter position and relationship of teeth and jaws, and to realign teeth to produce and maintain normal function.